The leader of the group contacted, who simply identified himself as ODU, called Vanguard on phone to announce the group’s surrender.
He said:”NDGJM has accepted to stop bombing of pipelines in obedience to the call by Niger Delta leaders at the meeting convened in Effurun, August 19 by the former Federal Commissioner for Information, Chief Edwin Clark.”
He, however, demanded that the Urhobo ethnic nationality should not be left out in the dialogue and negotiations by the leaders with the federal government. The NDGJM leader said the group would nominate its own representatives in the pan-Niger Delta group.
A source familiar with the ceasefire, said the deal was brokered by Chief Clark, who sent emissaries to leaders of the group to key into the ongoing peace process in the region. “Chief Clark’s team met with the leaders of the militant group and briefed them on the efforts so far to make peace in the region.
They assured them that nobody would subjugate Urhobo interest in the dialogue and negotiations, but there was no monetary attachment,” the source added. With the ceasefire, the coast is now finally clear for the federal government and the oil companies in the region.