epa04558151 An undated photograph from 2014 made available 13 January 2015 shows members of the Nigerian military manning checkpoints in Maiduguri, North East Nigeria. The Nigerian government said up to 150 people had been killed by Boko Haram in the country's north last week and dismissed widespread reports that 2,000 people had died.  EPA/STR

United Nation Takes Swift Action Following Boko Haram’s Attack on Its Workers….See Details

United Nations will be pending humanitarian efforts in the north-eastern part of Nigeria pending on when the security reports are favourable.

United Nations has temporarily halted the delivery of relief materials to the hapless people of Borno State following a surprise attack by Boko Haram operatives that left casualties behind.
The information was circulated yesterday, as a means of protecting the lives of their employees against any future re-occurrence.
UNICEF said in a statement that unknown assailants attacked the convoy on Thursday as it returned to Maiduguri from delivering aid in Bama, injuring a UNICEF employee and an International Organisation for Migration contractor.

“The United Nations has temporarily suspended humanitarian assistance missions pending review of the security situation,” it said.

Nigerian army spokesman, Sani Usman said troops were escorting the humanitarian convoy when it was attacked by “suspected remnants of Boko Haram” and that two soldiers and three civilians were wounded.

Nearly a quarter of a million children in Borno suffer from life-threatening malnourishment and around one in five will die if they do not receive treatment, UNICEF said earlier this month.

Medecins Sans Frontieres said on Wednesday that severely malnourished children were dying in large numbers in northeast Nigeria, where food supplies are close to running out, according to the Reuters.

You may also like...

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *